Coats are born to be stunning, or at least, this one is. Inspired by a coat purchased in New York, this coat has serious street cred with it's figure enhancing shape. Be warned: You will be noticed.
The fabric is an ex-designer cast off, which means we are not sure of the contents. It is very very warm, so we suspect it is a wool and polyester mix. The brown is a lovely rusty warm brown, as suggested last year by our friend Charly (hense the name). This fabric is heavier than our other fabrics, has a lovely diagonal weave and a lighty brushed texture making it lovely and soft. It is fully lined in a matching polyester/acetate lining.
This coat is from the 1940s, with it's wide collar. Its full pleats will easily accommodate petticoats and circle skirts so it will merge happily with your 1950s clothing.
We have called it the 5th Avenue coat as its inspiration was from that city. New York was a hub for new designers who could blossom while Europe's fashion houses were feeling the effects of war. America was also not rationed nearly as much, so this combination of full skirt and wide collar could easily be from the early or mid 40s.
This coat has some unusual design features, carried over from the original, that set it apart from your regular coats:
- Square cut arm holes allow for a greater length of movement than you'd expect
- Deep cuffs, this time with the split facing the back, this is a very flattering look when wearing gloves
- The super wide collar sets the era of this coat more in the 40s than the 50s
- Lots of fabric in the skirt which will accommodate all skirt shapes and look great over trousers
- Shoulder pads which help frame the collar shape
- Contoured back waist from which the pleats drop from.
- The back collar delightfully mimics the waist shape
- Two hidden pockets at the front, cosy for your hands and ideal for travel essentials. Big enough for a mobile
- Generous authentic length
Made right here in the UK from materials also sourced here.
The actual measurements of this garment are as follows:
XS: B34" W28"
S: B37" W30"
M: B39" W33"
L: B44" W38"
XL: B49" W40"
Some ladies with a larger bust wear it with the top button undone and a scarf to stop drafts